Simon Gunton 1609-1676
Simon GUNTON 1609-1676
The son of William Gunton of Peterborough, Simon Gunton was an English clergyman, antiquary and author of The History of the Church of Peterburgh, published posthumously in 1686 with revisions and supplements by Simon Patrick. Educated at Magdalene College, Cambridge, from which he graduated 1630–1, proceeding M.A. in 1634, Gunton became vicar of Pytchley, Northamptonshire. Following the Restoration in 1660, he took possession of his prebend at Peterborough, to which he was first collated without effect in 1646. He resigned in 1666 in order to take up the position of rector at Fiskerton, Lincolnshire.
Gunton donated a small collection of manuscripts to Magdalene College, Cambridge
MS notes by Simon Gunton [presented by Simon Gunton in 1676]. On the same leaf, a stags head watermark (Briquet 15544). At head of leaf [a1]r, in ms: "Simon Gunton".
- Magdalene College, Cambridge, MS F.4.33, F.12v.
- James, M.R. A descriptive catalogue of the manuscripts in the college library of Magdalene College, Cambridge, 1909.
- Sheils, W.J. “Simon Gunton (bap. 1609, d. 1676), clergyman”, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.