Thomas Coney 1675-1752
Thomas CONEY 1675-1752
Son of John Coney of Burwash, Sussex. BA University College, Oxford 1695, MA 1698, BD 1710, DD 1710. Rector of Chedzoy, Somerset 1698, canon of Wells 1716, vicar of Over Stowey 1722, rector of St Peter and St Paul, Bath 1733.
Coney used an armorial bookplate (engraved by Jacob Skinner) on which he described himself as DD and rector of Chedzoy (probably made in the early 1730s; Franks 6607). The extent of his library is not known; in his will, he divided his library, which was clearly split between two residences, between his sons John and William. John was to receive all the books and manuscripts in his study at Over Stowey, while William was given the study of books at Bath.
- Will of Thomas Coney, the National Archives PROB 11/794/276.
- Blatchly, J. Jacob Skinner and William Hibbert of Bath, Bookplate Journal 2 (6) (2008), 75-88.
- Foster, J., Alumni Oxonienses, Oxford, 1891.
- Gambier Howe, E. R. J. Franks bequest: catalogue of British and American book plates bequeathed to the ... British Museum. London, 1903-4.
- Information from Anthony Pincott.