William Lucy 1676/7-1723
William LUCY 1676/7-1723
Son of Fulke Lucy of Caldicote, Warwickshire. BA Magdalen Hall, Oxford 1696, MA 1699, BD and DD 1723. Vicar of Kilton, Somerset 1703, canon of Wells 1709, rector of Tolland, Somerset 1714, of Hampton Lucy, Warwickshire 1721. In 1721 he inherited the estate of Charlecote Park, Warwickshire from his relation George Lucy.
Lucy used an engraved armorial bookplate (Franks 18885), probably made around the time that he inherited Charlecote Park. He is known to have reorganised the library there and added the plate to books which were already on the shelves; the extent of the family library at the time of his death is not known. His will has no specific mention of books; much of his estate was left to his wife for her lifetime use before it passed to his nephew.
- Will of William Lucy, The National Archives PROB 11/596/170.
- Foster, J., Alumni Oxonienses, Oxford, 1891.
- Gambier Howe, E. R. J. Franks bequest: catalogue of British and American book plates bequeathed to the ... British Museum. London, 1903.
- Purcell, M., The country house library, New Haven and London, 2017, 120.
- The Lucy family of Charlecote Park.